"Look at the sky, tell me what do you see? Just close your eyes and describe it to me... The heavens are sparkling with starlight tonight. That's what I see through your eyes. I see the heavens each time that you smile. I hear your heartbeat just go on for miles. And suddenly I know my life is worthwhile..."

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

"If I lay here, if I just lay here, would you lie with me and just forget the world?"

For those of you who talked to me last night, you know the exact thoughts that were travelling through my mind. You saw me staring blankly, absolutely shocked, when Obama was announced the next President of the United States. You know that I screamed to my roommates that we lost. You know that I texted my close friends, expressing my frustration in America. I was so upset. I was so mad I could spit and so sad I could cry. Obama winning literally made me feel physically ill. I seriously thought I was going to throw up. These last few days have been absolutely miserable to tell the truth. This election was the cherry on top of these terrible last few days.

My apartment, last night, was so depressing. We were all extremely upset about the election's results. All we were good for last night was bringing each other down farther. It was aweful. Finally, Benjamin came by to cheer me up. He stayed and talked to us for awhile, when I just couldn't handle being in the apartment any longer. I jumped up and told them I was going on a walk. They told me I was crazy. It was snowing outside and absolutely freezing, but I didn't care. I bundled up, and just as I started to open the front door and step out into the chill air, Benjamin hopped off the couch and announced he was coming with me. I really wanted to be by myself, but I decided having him for company wouldn't be bad.

So we set out. All I really wanted to do was get rid of the pit that had been resting in my stomach since Sunday night and had only increased since then. We caught snowflakes with our tongues, swing danced in the snow, told stories, made snow angels, made footprints in the snow, had a snowball fight, and tried to use body heat to warm up after. I wasn't even that cold, but I could literally feel his body shaking and twitching, trying desperately to heat back up. We had a long talk, and by the time I returned home, he had managed to make me feel a thousand times better.

I have really missed Paulo and Garret, just being able to talk to them about anything. Those two have always been there for me, no matter what time of day or night. I feel like Benjamin and I are getting to that friendship and that makes me happier than anything else right now. I desperately need to have that friendship with someone again....

Ben and I talked about Obama a little bit last night before our walk. We talked about how I don't hate him. He seems like a nice enough guy. I just don't like the majority of the issues he stands for. I don't think he's quite good enough to run our country. Benjamin made me laugh when he said that Obama's winning meant the second coming was only that much closer ;)

I hope Blake doesn't mind. I just finished reading his blog before I started writing this one, and I decided I would quote him. I feel almost the same as him, and I like the viewpoint he has on this situation:

"I'm sure most of you have heard that Barack Obama is our next president, as of last night. Now, for those of you who spoke with me about politics knew that I wanted this to happen, even though I couldn't bring myself to vote for him (or anyone for that matter). I'm disgusted with politics, and the apathy of America in general. I didn't like all of either of their "plans" and each had their own list of "why they don't deserve to be President." But, when it all boils down to it, I see inspiration in Obama that McCain could never invoke. Obama makes people want to become different, to become better than themselves and show that America really can be one of the greatest countries in the world. He invokes hope.... I'm just asking you to keep an open mind, and be positive, cheerful and optimistic about the future. It's not going to be that bad." -Blake, http://blakev1.spaces.live.com/default.aspx

I am going to really really try. I can see how Obama is inspiring. I am going to really try and keep this mindset throughout the next 4 years as he guides our beloved country. And Blake's right - It's not going to be that bad.

<3 Me

No comments: