"Look at the sky, tell me what do you see? Just close your eyes and describe it to me... The heavens are sparkling with starlight tonight. That's what I see through your eyes. I see the heavens each time that you smile. I hear your heartbeat just go on for miles. And suddenly I know my life is worthwhile..."

Saturday, September 20, 2008

the roommates



I could have only imagined that BYU-Idaho would be this good. I knew that it would be fun when I took the campus tour, but I could have only hoped that I would love Rexburg this much.



I really want to fill you all in on everything I have learned from my classes. Even more than that, I wish I could share the sweet, personal spiritual experiences I have had from being on this campus with you. Unfortunately, I don't feel that the best place to share these experiences is on my blog. However, if any of you want to hear some of them, please don't hesitate to ask me. I would love to tell you about the tender mercies my Heavenly Father has shown to me these past couple of weeks. They are incredible.



What I really want to talk about right now is my roommates. I have thought for days about what to say about them exactly. Not only do I know that they will kill me if I post anything they don't like on here, but I want to get the wording just right because I love these girls so much and I feel so blessed to have been placed with them. I wish you could meet them. They are each so fun, happy, sweet, goofy, and loving. I have learned so much from them at our nightly scripture study. They share insights that I would have never thought of. They continue to impress me everyday with their motivation, joy of life, and compassion for others. They inspire me to be my best.



Talia is my roomie. We are kind of funny together. She is the one who will tell me straight up that I am being the biggest dork. She lets me know when I say something stupid or look like a nerd. We argue constantly about silly things and then just as we are starting to make a truce, we find ourselves starting the cycle all over again. Despite it all, she is the one who seems to be the most understanding of me and forgiving of my most dorky, stupid, nerdy ways. She always leaves the light on for me when she goes to bed, being so thoughtful of the fact that I am a night owl and also very clumsy. She doesn't want me to hurt myself as I try to maneuver around the room while she is unconscious. I always come in and turn off the light for her when I realize that she is ready for bed. She is very sweet. I have really missed Grandma leaving me love notes on the kitchen table, and I was so excited the other night to find a piece of paper with Talia's handwriting on it. She had fallen asleep hours before. It was really late by the time I finally was able to crash. So I quietly opened the door to grab my clothes so I could change into pajamas, and I saw this green piece of paper on my desk. It said, "I Love You Jenny! ♥ your loving roommate, Talia" on it. That was all it said, but it made me so happy. The simple little acts of kindness she does for me brightens my day.



Kristilyn is the one you will hear all day long laughing and chatting on the phone. She is one of the friendliest people I have ever met. She is so easy to talk to and get along with. She gets countless phone calls day in and day out that I have no idea how she ever gets anything done. Everyone loves her and wants to talk to her and spend time with her. I love the stories she tells as she talks about growing up in Iowa. She talks about her family and friends with so much love, and it obviously shows because everyone is so excited when they get to talk to her or when they accidentally bump into her on campus. She knows everyone and loves everyone. What an example to follow!!



Andrea is our Texas girl and she never lets us forget it. She doesn't have an accent or anything, BUT the most commonly used word in our apartment is YA'LL, and she doesn't even know it until we point it out to her. We laugh because she says it so much, and when we say it she doesn't notice it at all. She also makes the yummiest quesadillas in the world. I get so excited everytime she announces she is going to make them or I see her preparing them in the kitchen. Andrea probably has the most personality out of all of us and she definetely is the filling that makes us complete.



I believe that these girls will be my friends forever. We are so close that I can hardly believe we've only known each other for 2 weeks. I am so grateful for these roommates. They are amazing!

2 comments:

Aunt Roo said...

Jenny, you are too awesome! I love your blog and I'm so glad you are having a good time at school. What a wonderful example you are to your friends, family and to me! Love you bunches!!

Holly said...

Hey Jen! I'm glad you are enjoying BYU-I as much as I did. It gets me all nostalgic when I read your blog. College was one of the best and most fun times of my life. Enjoy it! I'm really glad you have great roommates because that makes all the difference. I had some awesome ones my first year and I still do stuff with them all the time! Well, have fun and study hard!!